Senior Baking ContestContest rules and regulations
MAJESTIC AND MOIST HONEY CAKE
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup warm strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an angel food cake pan and line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, tea and orange juice.
3. Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow-speed, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top of the cake evenly with the almonds.
5. Place the angel food cake pan on 2 baking sheets stacked together and bake for 60 to 70 minutes until the cake springs back when you touch it gently in the center.
6. Let the cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield – Serves 8 – 10
Submit on strong cardboard covered in aluminum foil no more than two inches from edge of cake.
© This is a Marcy Goldman/BetterBaking.com original recipe
|Overall Appearance||25 points|
|Following Directions||10 points|