Junior Baking ContestContest rules and regulations
MONSTER MARSHMALLOW COOKIES
Open to children 8 to 16 years of age as of June 1, 2019. One entry per exhibitor.
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half or whipping cream
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and both sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time on medium speed, then beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Stir the oats, cereal, chocolate chips, pecans and marshmallows into the dough with a wooden spoon. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake the cookies in batches until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. TIP: baked 9 per cookie sheet, because they spread a lot. Mine were perfect at 10 minutes. They will look slightly underdone, but set up perfectly. The marshmallows will ooze out during baking. I used the back of a butter knife and formed the cookie back into shape while they were still hot. Let cookies rest on sheet pans to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool. Yields 4 – 4 ½ dozen
- Chocolate Drizzle: Combine chocolate chips, marshmallows and half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until melted and smooth. Very quickly, drizzle over cookies using a fork and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Enter five (5) of your best cookies for judging on a disposable plate, enjoy the rest.
|Overall Appearance||25 points|
|Following Directions||10 points|