King Arthur Junior Baking ContestContest rules and regulations
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter*, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour OR King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- If you use salted butter, decreate the salt to 1/4 teaspoon
- Exhibitor must bring empty King Arthur Flour Bag or the UPC label from bag.
- The only requirements are that you follow the recipe using King Arthur Flour and make these cookies from scratch.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
To Make the Cookies:
- Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg, beating until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the flour, mixing until totally incorporated.
To Make the Coating:
- Shake together the sugar and cinnamon in a
medium-sized zip top plastic bag.
- Drop small (1” diameter) balls of dough into the bag; a teaspoon
cookie scoop works well here. Roll/toss the cookies in the
cinnamon-sugar until they’re completely coated.
- Space the cookies at least 1 1/2” apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Use a flat-bottom glass to flatten them to about 3/8” think; they’ll be
about 1 1/2” in diameter.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes (for soft cookies) to 10 minutes (for
crunchier cookies). Remove them from the over, and cool them on the
pan until they’re firm enough to transfer to a rack to cool completely.
|Overall Appearance||25 points|
|Following Directions||10 points|